Monday, May 12, 2014

Adventures on the Hill

We have officially made it through our first full week of living in DC and we still absolutely love it! We just got back from grocery shopping and it is one of the simple things that I love about living here. I have always wanted to be able to walk to the grocery store and walk home with all of my groceries - life dream accomplished!

Mitch has been busy with his new internship and so far he is learning lots and loving it! He is working for an international relations firm that focuses a lot on international trade and they are the middle man between businesses and government. For his internship so far he has been doing a lot of research about trade regulations for the consultants at the firm and he also gets to go to congressional hearings. He went to a hearing about human trafficking which I was super interested in, so I decided to go to the hearing with him the next day since they are open to the public. It was about the U.S.'s involvement in the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. The first hour was really interesting, but the last two hours were a drawn out repetition of the first hour and I got bored... really bored! Although it wasn't the most thrilling three hours of my life, I can now officially say I have been to a congressional hearing and I know a lot more about government sanctions! I felt very important as I walked up to the hill and walked through security and listened in on what the congressmen all had to say.


Mitch and I on the way to the congressional hearing! 

Right before the hearing - Mitch was loving it and I was a little bit more nervous (and bored)! 

Since getting to D.C. I have been able to relearn so many things about our government and our country. I have gained an immense respect for the Founding Fathers and all they established. We have been spending our evenings walking to all of the memorials and I have been so moved by the goals the Founding Fathers had for our country and the way they envisioned this nation. I have also been extremely touched by how firmly the Founding Fathers believed in God and believed this nation would thrive as we, as a people, remained close to God. This quote by Thomas Jefferson at his memorial has been the most impactful thing yet...


This quote has definitely given me a lot of things to think about in regards to where we are today. 

The sites have been great and I love seeing all of D.C. but the best thing about this adventure so far is the fact that I get to spend every single day exploring with Mitch! We seriously have had so much fun learning how to get around the city and finding new things to see! Mitch puts up with my desire to read every single historical sign and then bombard him with random facts about history and our country. He even gets excited now when we see certain historical things because he knows I will be excited. I am living in a history nerd's dream and he is going right along with it, which I really appreciate! I love D.C. and I love my husband so much and can't get over how excited I am for the next three months! EEEEEEK! 

At the Islamic Center bazaar. We ate food from Indonesia, the Kingdom of Bahrain and Afghanistan! 

Outside of the National Cathedral.
We were able to sit in the Cathedral during a wedding ceremony which was a very unique and exciting experience for us. It was a beautiful ceremony and we loved hearing what the priest was saying about marriage and Christ. 


I love being married to my best friend!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment